- Walk to School Kickoff: Program begins on the first day of school and includes Trip Scanner Card registration and distribution.
* Boot Buck Stores will be set up on campus during recess each semester. This is an opportunity for students to spend the Boot Bucks they have earned using Trip Scanner Cards.
- 50 Bikes for 50 Kids nominations begin. Local leaders, teachers and mentors nominate kids in the 5th -12th grades, living or attending school in the North Natomas area, to receive a new bike for demonstrating traits such as trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- International Walk to School Day Celebrations: This international campaign gives children, parents, teachers and community leaders an opportunity to be part of a global movement to celebrate the many benefits of walking. There will be a campus party including breakfast for participating students and families at each of our program schools.
- Walktober Challenge: This month-long campaign celebrates and awards children for walking to school. Students are challenged to ditch the car and use their feet instead to walk the length of the United States!
- 50 Bikes for 50 Kids nomination deadline, November 15th.
- 50 Bikes for 50 Kids: On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, January 15th, teams of volunteers are paired with 50 deserving North Natomas kids to assemble their newly awarded bikes.
- Polar Bear March: Students are encouraged to walk, bike or scoot to school every morning during the month of March. The challenge inspires and empowers students to make positive environmental change. The grade level with the highest percentage of students walking to school will celebrate by “adopting” a polar bear through the organization, Polar Bears International.
- May is Bike Month: This regional campaign encourages people to choose bicycling for all types of trips, including work, school, errands, and recreation. Students will record their trips every day on their classroom’s logsheet. Teachers turn in logsheets every week and students who have ridden will receive a prize. All schools in North Natomas are entered into the region wide competition on mayisbikemonth.com.